Monday, July 11, 2011

Bridging an amplifier to series wired subs?

I have an older Audiobahn amp model A2800, it is 4ohm by 2ch at 200W RMS. I blew my kickers and bought (2) cerwin vega's that have (2) 4ohm voice coils(DVC) each sub is 200W RMS and 600W peak, they are really well matched to my amp and would like to utilize both voice coils. The problem I have is that when I series wire both voice coils it brings it down to 2 ohm or parallel them it goes up to 8 ohm. I called audiobahn and the tech told me to bridge the amp to 1 ch and series wire the subs to 2 ohm(2ohm + 2 ohm= 4ohm), then connect the positive to one sub and the negative to the other since they are sharing the same box. Would this work? I'm not sure if the negative wire carries signal , but it seems like the subs wouldn't get both signals because they aren't connected to each other....Would it affect sound performance compared to having both polarities connected? Any comments and feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance. Edit: Did he mean to series wire the voice coils on each sub(bringing each sub to 2ohm) then wire them together in parallel making the amp "see" 4 ohms? Then putting the + to one sub then the - to the other..I'm confused, lol

No comments:

Post a Comment